Zesterra® Frequently Asked Questions
To learn more about Zesterra®, check out these answers to our most commonly asked questions below.
What Exactly Is Zesterra®?
Zesterra® is an all-natural supplement formulated for all types of horses. It provides excellent support for performance horses that easily develop ulcers under stressful conditions. Zesterra® helps to:
- Reduce acid in the horse’s stomach
- Improve appetite so that the horse can eat and drink more
- Enhance absorption of vital nutrients
What Makes Zesterra® Work?
Zesterra® includes potent ingredients such as corn oil, soybean oil, colloidal silver, orange peel bitters, onion extract, guar gum, natural apple flavoring and vegetable-based fatty acids.
Colloidal silver helps prevent the growth of harmful bacteria and viruses in the horse’s digestive tract. However, it doesn’t interfere with important bodily functions or affect the development of good bacteria. (Note: Zesterra® distributed in Canada does not contain colloidal silver due to international regulations.)
The proprietary blend of orange peel bitters and onion extracts works to balance pH and provides immune support.
Corn oil, soybean oil and other vegetable-based fatty acids help improve the health of all cell membranes and transmit important messages throughout the horse’s nervous system.
Why Should I Use Zesterra® for My Horse?
Zesterra® is an all-natural supplement that helps neutralize excess gastric acid and prevent ulcers. It offers both horses and their owners’ several important benefits, including:
- Stress relief: Zesterra® prevents stress by reducing the acid that creates discomfort and increases stress-inducing cortisol.
- Better hydration: The pleasant taste of Zesterra® encourages horses to drink more water.
- Improved appetite: The combination of acid neutralization and increased healthy gut bacteria helps the horse consume feed more readily.
- Healthy weight gain: When digestion improves, there’s a boost in nutrient absorption, making it possible for hard keepers to gain weight.
How Do I Know the Best Time and Amount to Give My Horse Zesterra®?
Give Zesterra® to your horse periodically to prevent ulcers and boost feeding. It’s also beneficial to use Zesterra® when you feel your horse will experience stress-inducing situations. Here are some ideal times to give your horse this supplement:
- Twice a week for acid neutralization and increased nutrient utilization
- Just before hauling the horse on a long journey
- When your horse is not feeding as expected
- When your horse looks lethargic or has scours or diarrhea
Please see our detailed guide to determine the proper amount of Zesterra® to give your horse.
Are There Any Known Side Effects of Using Zesterra®?
Presently, there are no known side effects associated with Zesterra®. Its ingredients are 100% natural and well-tolerated by horses. Zesterra is safe for all classes of horses, from foals to seniors. This includes:
- Hard keepers and old horses
- Horses with ulcer symptoms
- Horses involved in intense training
- Horses prone to shipping fever
- Horses experiencing colic
What Should I Do if My Horse Spits out Zesterra®?
If your horse doesn’t take all the Zesterra® you give at once, try the following suggestions:
- Draw the amount you want to give into a syringe, then deliver it slowly, allowing the horse to swallow it completely before the next portion.
- Lift the horse’s head slightly, and encourage them to swallow gradually.
- While Zesterra® is designed to be most effective when delivered as an oral dose, you may place it in your horse’s water or top-dress grain.
- Zesterra® also comes in a highly palatable treat for those
Why Is My Zesterra® darker in color than when I bought it?
Zesterra® contains an all-natural apple flavoring. As this flavoring oxidizes it starts to change color (much like when you cut an apple and leave it sitting for a few minutes). This is a completely normal occurrence and in no way affects the potency of the product.
What is the shelf life for Zesterra®?
Zesterra® has a shelf life of 5 years from the date of manufacture.