Zesterra is safe for all classes of horses and foals. Below are general dosing guidelines; you may need to adjust this according to your horse’s unique needs.
- Horses with Active Ulcers or Symptoms: Give 1ml per 100 lbs of body weight orally in the AM and PM for 14 days and then reduce to 1ml/100 lbs once a day for 14 Days. Move to a .5ml/100 lbs daily maintenance thereafter. When these horses come under stress use 1ml/100 lbs prior to the event (riding, hauling, weather change, environment change).
- Older Horses/Hard Keepers: Give 1ml/100 lbs orally for 10 days followed by 0.5ml/100 lbs daily until desired weight is achieved. Once desired weight is achieved, give 1ml/100 lbs two to three times per week to maintain results.
- Ulcer Prone Horses/Horses in Rigorous Training: Follow the same protocol as outlined above for Horses with Active Ulcers.
- Respiratory Infections/Shipping Fever: Give 1ml/100 lbs orally daily until symptoms (cough, fever) subside. If antibiotics are prescribed, a daily dose of 1ml/100 lbs should be used for at least 10 days past the last dose of antibiotics.
- Environmental Stress (Extreme Heat, Cold or Disease Outbreak): Give 1ml/100 lbs orally prior to changes in weather or disease outbreak.
- Colic: Give 30ml – 50ml orally at the onset of colic. You may use up to 100mls. Please contact your veterinarian if colic persists.
- Hauling: All horses should receive 1ml/100 lbs orally the day before leaving and every day while away from home.
For a printable PDF version, click on the link to the right.