Frequently Asked Questions
How does Zesterra® work?
Zesterra® is a specially formulated equine supplement that works by neutralizing excess acid in the stomach to prevent stress-related secretion of adrenaline and cortisol. Zesterra® helps horses to remain calm during stressful situations like hauling, training and performance events. It’s also an immune booster that stimulates the appetite and encourages feed and water consumption.
Is Zesterra® safe for all horses?
Zesterra® is safe for all horses including foals, mares and stallions of any age. It contains only natural ingredients, and it’s administered orally with a syringe (or can be added to water), making it easy to administer.
What are the benefits of using Zesterra®?
The major benefits of using Zesterra® include:
- Relieves stress in horses
- Balances pH in the stomach of the horse
- Aids in prevention of metabolic disorders
- Helps horses to bounce back and perform well after traveling for a long distance
- Promotes good feed utilization
- Helps underweight horses gain weight
When should you give your horse Zesterra®?
You should give your horse Zesterra® regularly — at least twice a week — to help maintain a healthy gut and encourage proper feed and water consumption.
You should also administer Zesterra®:
- Before you haul your horse
- Before a major training session
- During pregnancy, at foaling and after foaling
- To boost the immunity of newborn foals
- If your horse has diarrhea or scours
Why should I buy Zesterra if I can just buy colloidal silver and give it to my horse?
Colloidal silver is one of the active ingredients in Zesterra®, but all the other ingredients work together to neutralize acide, act as a prebiotic and reduce stress in your horse. Just buying colloidal silver and giving it to your horse won’t have the same effect as giving it a dose of Zesterra®.
Zesterra® works as prebiotic. It provides nutrients for healthy microbes to thrive in the rumen of the horse. It also has antioxidants such as vitamin E that help reduce the impact of free radicals and aid in the evacuation of dangerous ions and salts in the horse’s body. Zesterra® balances pH in the rumen and reduces the production of stress hormones that can weaken your horse and prevent it from delivering optimum performance.
How does CattlActive® work?
CattlActive® is an all-natural supplement. It acts as a prebiotic but its main function is neutralizing excess acid in the rumen. CattlActive® is a rapid stress reliever that also helps improve the immune system. It supports the growth of healthy bacteria in the rumen, which promotes the effective digestion of feed and protects the sensitive lining of the rumen. Because the health of cattle depends heavily on the state of the rumen, CattlActive® supports the health, productivity and growth of calves or cows.
What are the benefits of using CattlActive?
The most prominent benefits of CattlActive include:
- Neutralizes dangerous acid in cattle’s rumen
- Boosts the immunity of newborn calves and lactating cows
- Provides relief from stress during times of extreme weather
- Helps cattle to eat and drink continuously and gain weight faster
- Helps you reach your live weight targets quickly
Is CattlActive® safe for all calves and cows?
CattlActive® is made with all-natural ingredients, so it’s safe for all calves and cows.
Is CattlActive® a probiotic?
CattlActive® is prebiotic, not a probiotic. Probiotics are the beneficial gut flora that protect the ruminal lining and aid in digestion and absorption of nutrients. A prebiotic stimulates the growth of healthy microbes while creating an inhospitable environment for harmful bacteria.
What are prebiotics?
Prebiotics are feed ingredients that are partially digestible or not digestible at all. They serve as food for healthy gut bacteria to flourish. As a result, they increase the number of healthy bacteria and maintain a healthy balance of good and bad bacteria in animals.
When a cow or horse consumes feed, their bodies work to digest the food and absorb beneficial nutrients. The parts of the feed that aren’t broken down and absorbed serve as prebiotics. The bacteria in the intestinal tract take advantage of these prebiotics and produce volatile fatty acids which are necessary for overall health.
What is heat stress in cattle?
Heat stress takes place when a cow’s heat load becomes greater than its capacity to shed the heat. This condition is also known as hyperthermia. This condition is common among dairy cattle during the summer months but can also be experienced by beef animals.
Heat stress is caused by:
- The heat of the sun, humidity and high air temperature
- Air temperature that exceeds 100°F and humidity that’s more than 80 percent
- Poor ventilation in cow pens or barns that cause the heat radiated by the cows’ body to be retained in the environment at night
What causes calf scours?
Calf scours have infectious and noninfectious causes. The infectious causes include:
- Viruses like IBR, BVD, corona and rotavirus
- Bacteria such as salmonella, E. coli and Clostridium
- Protozoans like coccidia and cryptosporidiu
E. coli is the most common bacterial cause of scours in calves. Calves born in contaminated calving areas or raised in facilities with poor sanitation practices can contract severe scours caused by E. coli within 24 hours after birth.
Non-infectious causes of scours include:
- Poor nutritional management of the dam during gestation, such as the quality or quantity of colostrum being very poor at birth
- Overcrowded pens or an environment with various stressors, such as extreme cold or heat that can cause the calf to have poor immunity and become susceptible to scours
- Poor attention at birth — if the calf was born through a difficult delivery or it’s too weak to nurse, it can have scours within a few hours
What is SARA?
SARA stands for Sub-Acute Ruminal Acidosis. This is a metabolic disorder that occurs when the pH level of the rumen is too low (or acidic). The rumen is the largest section of the cow’s digestive system. While this low pH, which is usually less than 5.8, is difficult to detect visually, it can cause a great deal of stress in the animal. In some cases, it leads to reduced feeding, lethargy, rapid respiratory rate and accelerated heart rate.
I am interested in ordering tubs or a large bag of mineral. Why can’t I find them on the site?
Due to the size and weight of the lick tubs, we ask that you call in to the office (1-800-254-0179×1) to order these items. This way, the most economical shipping rate can be calculated for you. Alternatively, check out our Store Finder to find out if a store near you is carrying the tubs and bags.
Get Detailed Answers to All Your Questions About Our Products
If you have more questions about Zesterra® or CattlActive®, please send us your questions through our general inquiries page. You can also find additional details about each product on the individual product pages for Zesterra® and CattlActive®.